Summer is officially here. It’s safe to say that I am SO ready for fall. No, really, I am. I don’t have to worry about being all sticky or sweating in public, my hair won’t be all frizzy and huge, I won’t suffer when I’m trying to sleep at night… should I go on?! Plus, clothes for fall are WAY cuter. Amirite?! I think that I’m just a rare being who enjoys fall over summer. I’m okay with that. 🙂
This treat is perfect for those hot days/evenings when you just have to have something cold. Typically, whenever we have bananas in the apartment, they never last. We eat ’em up. That wasn’t the case recently, though. Something needed to happen with the 3 sad looking bananas. They were starting to turn brown. I cut them up into chunks, threw them in a freezer bag, and called it a night. Banana ice cream. That’s what I was going to do.
I first made banana ice cream just over a year ago. I knew frozen bananas in a smoothie were a game changer, so, why not just make a soft serve ice cream? Back then, I made peanut butter banana ice cream. It was delicious! I haven’t a clue as to why I never made it again. Until now.
I had peanut butter and almond butter in the pantry. I was thinking of doing an almond butter banana combo. Troy had mentioned that he didn’t want the almond butter to be overpowering, though. Geez, babe. Way to be demanding! With that being said, I decided to just omit the nut butter and make it simple. As I was making the ice cream, it hit me. Unsweetened cocoa powder. DUH! Guys. It tasted like a frozen chocolate covered banana. It took me back to times when I enjoyed one of those. Did you ever have one at like fairs or amusement parks? I believe my mom used to buy them at the grocery store, too. It was perfection!
Let’s move on to this chocolate banana ice cream. It’s super easy to make. 3 ingredients. Really. That’s all you need. You could actually just get away with 2 if your bananas are sweet enough. But that’s your call, my friends. What I’m trying to say is that you will absolutely love this recipe. Especially if you’re trying to watch what you eat but still want to indulge. 😉
What you need:
- frozen banana chunks (I used 3 bananas)
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons of honey (optional, if your bananas are sweet enough already)
- food processor (I’m betting that a blender would work, too. But, I haven’t tried it.)
- Put the frozen banana chunks into the food processor.
- Pulse to break up the chunks. I had to go in with a knife to break up the bigger chunks that wouldn’t break down. Having smaller pieces before putting into the processor will help with this.
- After the bananas are broken down, you can then put the speed on low. I went between low and high. What can I say, I was impatient. 😉
- While it’s spinning, you can drizzle in the honey from the opening at the top of your machine. Or, if you prefer, you can stop it, take the top off, and then drizzle it in. Doesn’t matter, as long as it gets in there!
- Keep spinning the bananas until it all smooth and has the consistency of soft serve ice cream.
- At this point, put your cocoa powder in. Turn it back on low (or high) just to combine.
- You can serve as is. Or, transfer to a bowl and put it in the freezer to firm up some. (I put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes. We couldn’t wait any longer!)
- Scoop into bowls, and eat it allllll up!
Be sure to taste along the way. Does it need more sweetness? Perhaps you want more punch of chocolate. The best part? Besides being insanely quick and easy, you can mix in whatever you want! Nuts, sprinkles, nut butters, fruit…let your creativeness run wild!
This for sure was a satisfying treat after a long day of work and dealing with yucky weather (aka summer). 🙂 Creamy, strong banana flavor with a hint of chocolate, sweet, and cold. Cannot go wrong.
Hope you all enjoy! Let me know what you think! Oh! And let me know what you put in yours!