This is a salad that I made for my husband and I. We both were not starving and didn’t want anything very heavy. So, a big fresh salad it was! I got most of the ingredients for this salad from Blue Sky Green Fields that were delivered to my place of work. They deliver farmer’s market quality foods. Everything they have is super fresh and delicious. Plus, I get to go online shopping for this and avoid the grocery stores. Win win! They are also local. Go Cleveland!
Doesn’t it all look SO scrumptious?! It was such an exciting day at work when those boxes came. Shall we move on to the salad? OK, let’s go.
I didn’t put how many of the veggies you will need. This is totally up you and how much you want to eat. This can easily serve 2 people. Especially with the 2 eggs. If you’re just making this for yourself, use one egg and less spinach and arugula. What will you need? Well, this can be totally up to you and what you currently have in your fridge. The veggies in my salad is what I currently had. So, feel free to to add or omit any of the ingredients.
- Baby Spinach
- Rainbow Carrots (the purple is my favorite. So pretty!)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Crimini Mushrooms
- Yellow Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- 2 Large Egg
- Coconut Oil (for frying the egg)
I made my own dressing. Just a very simple vinaigrette.
- Olive Oil
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Onion Powder
- Minced Garlic
Troy snickered at me when I told him what was in the dressing. He said it I didn’t quite need both of the vinegars. Hey man, I don’t know what I’m doing half the time in the kitchen! Therefore I just put things together. This vinaigrette actually turned out super delicious. Take that, fancy chef!
- Cut up the carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes (optional, I halved mine), cucumber, pepper, onion, and radishes.
- Toss the spinach and arugula into a large mixing bowl. I used about 2 handfuls of spinach, and about 1 handful of arugula.
- Throw in all of your chopped veggies. You don’t need to mix them all quite yet.
- Make the dressing. I eyeballed everything. I know, I’m sorry. I’m trying to get better with my measurements here. Start off with the olive oil, though. Then, the vinegars. But add a little at a time. Now you can add the onion powder, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk it all together. Then try it. You want it to be flavorful. A little on the sour side.
- Pour a little of the dressing over your mixing bowl of the goods, and then use your hands to combine. You could use whatever utensil you would like. But you know what they say, your hands are the best kitchen utensils. If you think it seems a little on the drier side, then add a little more. Keep in mind that you want to be able to taste your veggies, not the veggies drowning in the vinaigrette.
- Once that is all combined, heat up some coconut oil (I used the coconut oil spray from Trader Joe’s) in a small pan over medium/low heat. Crack open your egg into a small bowl/cup. This is to avoid any shells. When the oil is hot enough, dump your egg into the pan. I was aiming for over easy, but it turned out to be over medium. So, keep your eye on your egg! Definitely just takes minutes.
- While your egg is cooking, serve your salad into the bowl/plate you will be using. When your egg is finished, slide that yummy egg on top of your salad.
- Eat it!
I wish I had styled it a little better to highlight all of those fresh veggies, but it still looks pretty tasty! This is a perfect salad if you’re staying healthy. You could add some chicken for the protein. Or just keep it meatless! Up to you! It’s so versatile. I hope you enjoy it!